Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record
Whatever happened in late December 1980 in Rendlesham Forest near air bases in Suffolk, England, defense and military leaders should consider it important, according to a former British Army defense chief.
Speaking in a 2013 interview filmed before his death, Lord Peter Hill-Norton, formerly British Army Chief of Staff and Royal Navy Fleet Admiral, said an unidentified flying object had landed in the forest where several “serious” soldiers who worked on a base with nuclear planes were hallucinating.
“Surely, for any sane person, one or the other of these explanations must be, cannot fail to be, of interest to the defense,” he said.
Retired US Air Force Col. Charles I. Halt was the senior military officer involved in what has been called “British Roswell”. He served for 29 years in the military and in 1980 was the deputy commander of the Bentwaters base. This base was located on the other side of Rendlesham Forest from the Royal Air Force base at Woodbridge.
Halt was the officer who recorded what he heard in the forest when he and several other servicemen returned in the early morning of December 27, a day after the first sightings were reported. He also wrote what he calls the “infamous” memo on his sightings which was released a few years later.
Support local journalism
Subscribe at the Roswell Daily Record today.
“Something strange has happened. I can not explain it. I don’t give answers to tough questions, I know, ”said Halt, Friday afternoon speaker in the UFologist Invasion series coordinated by the International UFO Museum and Research Center as part of the 2021 UFO Festival.
Halt had gone to the forest on December 27 after military patrol officers told him the strange objects seen the day before had returned. They made measurements of some tracks in the forest near where the objects had been observed and measured radiation from trees and tracks, which Halt said showed levels higher than the background atmosphere. Then they saw something.
While some of the patrollers said they saw triangular planes and drew renderings of their sightings, Halt said he had never seen a “structure.” Instead, he described pulsed lights which he concluded were “under intelligent control” and fast-moving star-like objects, changing from round to elliptical shapes.
At one point, he said, a light “silently explodes like fireworks into five white lights, and then it’s gone like that, like fireworks.”
He said he shared the recording with his military superiors, knowing that at least one copy of the recording was made immediately. He also wrote his note. Then he waited to be debriefed.
He has waited ever since, he said, with only UFO researchers so far willing to hear details of his experiments and observations. The official position of the military is that what happened does not concern the defense or the armed forces.
Halt rejected explanations that the lights came from a lighthouse in a nearby fishing town, saying neither he nor the others confused this structure with what they saw in the fields. He said he was also told that the observed red lights would not come from the lighthouse, as it clearly illuminates the land. He also doesn’t think the experiment involved mass mind control by some type of object, as he believes no one would have allowed such equipment and access to military personnel involved in nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons. air traffic control.
Halt said he has since learned, from his own questions and the work of UFO researchers, that five different groups of people, including a resident who lived near the woods, reported seeing something unusual. those nights in 1980.
“I have come to the conclusion that there is some type of attraction in this area, some kind of energy source or some kind of portal, something that for some reason causes a lot of interesting activity. , something paranormal, ”said Halt.
Although he had been involved in a few book and television projects, he said he did not benefit from talking about what he had been through and considered his knowledge to be a “burden”, especially afterwards. that his memo was first made public in 1983 through an Information Act and he was subsequently besieged by the media.
Halt is due to deliver his speech again at 1 p.m. Sunday. The UFologist Invasion series continues today and Sunday with individual presentations as well as speaker panels.
Lisa Dunlap can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 351, or at [email protected]